There is something about the colors blue and red, especially when visualized together in the same image, that inspires me. I don't know why. Yes, I enjoy images of the American flag, but it isn't so much the flag per se as it is the colors of the flag. The vivid red and blue, juxtaposed with white, gives me a sense of peace and at the same time exhilaration. The experience is nearly identical whether it's the flag of the United States, Britain or France.
Growing up as a "redhead" was a distinctive social burden. The only thing worse than being called "carrot top" was being called "Bucky Beaver", but I had the dubious distinction of owning both monikers. Even then, I loved the color red and remember as a young boy wanting my Mom to buy or make me red shirts. I also remember her oft quoted answer: "You can't wear red", meaning with my complexion and hair color red didn't go well. It was always dissappointing to hear that message. (Little did this pre-pubescent Trekkie realize how often she probably saved my life!) To the point that I can still remember a learning on this topic being uttered by my dance coach, Miss Celia Burley. (In fact, it's the only thing I can still remember her saying.) It was a reply to my statement about not being able to wear red. She stopped what she was saying with a quick retort, "Oh that's ridiculous. You can wear whatever you want to." It stuck in my mind as long-awaited permission from a "grown-up" that I no longer needed to restrict my clothing choices to a pre-approved palette of uninteresting hues.
Deep rich blue brings peace to my soul. And not just mine. It brings peace to the inner spirit of many human beings. I remember feeling that when I toured the inpatient psychiatric unit at Salem Hospital and first observed their "Blue Room". They had perfected a treatment model they called "Sanctuary" that abhorred physical and chemical restraints in favor of more humane treatment. I was fascinated when I saw they had a special room painted a rich and vivid blue that was used for very agitated patients. Research had shown that spending time alone in the "Blue Room" would often create a calming effect on the otherwise very disturbed mind, and would allow the patient an opportunity to regain control of their actions in a safe and natural environment. Perhaps my love for blue emanates from my own buried psychosis. Could that be the reason?
There was something wonderful about having a majestic flagpole in our front yard when we lived in Lincoln, California. I enjoyed seeing the colors of the stars and stripes waving from one of the several windows in our home or from driving into our beloved Dunbar Court. There were times when I would lie on the couch in the living room at an angle where the flag was clearly visible and just drink in the colors for relaxing stretches of time. It created feelings of stability and belonging that I have not often experienced since. And seeing the colors in motion, as when the breeze would create gentle ripples in the flag's fabric, was a particular delight.
Time has passed, and continues passing, but I now find myself deliberately introducing my favorite colors into my surroundings. My car is a deep blue. The logo of my business is red, white and blue. The new logo I selected for our clinic is built around white and red. The ad campaign we are running on busses and billboards is anchored on a wide red stripe. My tie rack is dominated by reds and blues. My t-shirt drawer is filled with selections that are dominated by these colors. My favorite jacket is a Tommy Hilfiger creation in red, white and blue. My favorite windbreaker is a red and white sale item from The Nike Store.
It's interesting how these things just happened. These selections weren't the result of some pre-determined master plan. It just happens that it's these colors that are consistently perceived as attractive to me.
So thank goodness for vision and color. How less interesting the world would be if it was only shades of grey. My frequent selection of reds and blues are vivid symbols of the intensity and peace I enjoy most about the wonder that is living every day.






No comments:
Post a Comment