Salem Hospital
(Salem, Oregon)
My beloved career had become my identity and even though I hadn't realized it, I had become trapped......trapped in an environment where I had allowed my success or failure to be determined by others, by my boss, by the budget, by the decisions of people I really didn't even know on the Board. And "their" decisions, whoever "they" were, had the power to determine not only who I was, but what I thought of myself and what I felt. I can now see it was a place no one should ever go. It was a place of utter helplessness.
So, when the message came that I was no longer needed at the hospital, a flurry of emotions rose to the surface. "What do you mean?" "Don't you remember it's me that gives 150% to this place, that works late, that volunteers to come in and serve the staff on Christmas Day, that has the highest employee satisfaction rates of any member of the senior leadership team?" But what I quickly came to realize is it was indeed me, and all that other stuff, things a "loyal up and comer" does, really didn't matter. The budget needed to be cut. I had fallen out of favor. My number was up and I was gone. End of story.
As I left my office that last day, with my personal trappings neatly packed into three cardboard boxes, I left rejected but invincible. I was determined this wasn't going to be the end of MY story. And in fact, it wasn't. It was only the beginning.
I'll tell you more of the story next time, but here's a visual preview of the final chapter.



You make me proud Dad!!
ReplyDeleteI think it's interesting that so many people like us tend to base their self-worth on our accomplishments. I'm currently exploring this idea in my own personal life journey. The problem with it is that one doesn't always have complete control and as difficult it is to admit, a great deal of personal success rides on luck.
ReplyDeleteI've found that, at least with myself, placing so much importance on things that can get out of my control has led me to be obsessed with controlling my environment. That's why I'm compulsively planning things and thinking about the distant future instead of just taking life a day at a time.